Open Lathe Saturday/Wednesday/Thursday
Our Club’s original lease included three Open Lathe half-days. The Club’s Board decided to pay extra rent to have Open Lathe for more half-days. Now we have 13 Open Lathe half-days. Volunteers open the clubhouse for Open Lathe, stay available for questions during the open time, then close the clubhouse back up.
The Volunteers are not intended to be trainers. They have their own projects. If you have a complicated project that neither you or the evening Volunteer feel you can safely turn, then you should ask for help on a Saturday morning, when there are more experienced turners available.
The Club requests that all Open Lathe attendees donate a couple dollars per use into the Donation Bowl to help defray extra rent and equipment wear and tear.
The club also requests that Open Lathe attendees thoroughly clean their lathe area after use as well as the other tools used, like the bandsaw, drill press, and grinder and empty the trash cans and vacuum cleaners. Please leave the clubhouse lathe room cleaner than you found it. Thank you from your Club.
Open Lathe Days and Times:
- Open every Saturday Morning of the month from 8:30am until Noon.
- Open every 1st, 2nd, and 4th Wednesday Evening of the month from 5:30pm until 9:00pm. The 3rd Wednesday is Guild Meeting night.
- Open every Thursday Evening of the month from 6:00pm until 9:00pm.
Open Lathe Volunteers:
- 1st Saturday morning of the month: David Alexander (816-753-1840).
- 2nd Saturday morning of the month: Shaun McMahon (913-908-0245).
- 3rd Saturday morning of the month: Jack Karstens (913-897-4301) and Efi Kamara (913-451-4511).
- 4th Saturday morning of the month: Shaun McMahon (913-908-0245).
- 5th Saturday morning of the month: Jack Karstens (913-897-4301) and Efi Kamara (913-451-4511).
- 1st Wednesday evening of the month: Marc Turner (913-963-7219), Leon Butler (913-568-9843).
- 2nd Wednesday evening of the month: David DeSimone (816-686-3348), Jon Gathright (913-515-8929).
- 3rd Wednesday evening: NO Open Lathe – KC Woodworkers Guild regular meeting night.
- 4th Wednesday evening of the month: Mark Inmon (816-368-1775), Charlie Turner as emergency opener (816-903-1542).
- 1st Thursday evening of the month: Jerry Lehane (913-707-9103), Anthony Harris (913-648-2027).
- 2nd Thursday evening of the month: Jerry Lehane (913-707-9103), Anthony Harris (913-648-2027).
- 3rd Thursday evening of the month: Aron Crittendon (417-593-1218), Don Grimes (913-962-2060).
- 4th Thursday evening of the month: Kris Coyan (913-579-9152), Don Grimes (913-962-2060).
- 5th Thursday evening of the month: Aron Crittendon (417-593-1218), Don Grimes (913-962-2060).
Lathe Room Special Cleaning Day Tasks:
- Empty all trash cans into the dumpster.
- Empty all shop vacs into the dumpster and knock the dust off the filters.
- Disassemble both air cleaners. Vacuum their inlet and outlet filters. Take the internal cloth filters outside and shake all the dust off and out of them.
- Remove any cracked and useless logs and throw in the dumpster or give to a woodburner. Organize wood shelf.
- Sweep and vacuum lathe room floor.
- Vacuum and dust all lathes. Wipe off the lathe beds, toolrest and tailstock sliding surfaces with Windex. Apply light wax to sliding surfaces, wipe off wax. Check toolrest and tailstock for proper sliding.
- Vacuum and dust the drill press and both bandsaws.
- Vacuum and clean around both grinders.
- Put away all stray tools into proper locations. This means chuck, live centers, brooms, dustpans, brushes, etc. Dust and clean all cabinet surfaces including red tool chest.
- Clean off and Windex the break table and coffee table.